I'm currently putting together my blogs for the I Love Hearts and Flour Blog Tour which starts this coming Friday. (Be sure and check out Beautiful Boys Books for all the rules and prizes and stops on the tour come Friday) One of the main things that stops people from doing blog tours is fear of blogging! And the number one question-- what do i blog about? Writers get paralyzed with fear at the idea they have to write 10 blogs! So here is a quick primer on choosing blog topics.Whether you're a writer or a reader, some of these can be helpful for your blogs.
As you may know, i write magazine articles and blogs for my clients as part of my day job, so i have lots of practice. For my clients, i start with their products. What do i want the customer to know? Then i ask "what problems does my client's product solve for the customer?" And i start there. Blogging about the customer's problem and, oh by the way, here's a solution.
Blogging about books is much the same. I ask, what are some fun things i might like the reader to know about my book? Can i gather interesting data about that topic? For example, here are some blog topics i created for Hearts and Flour:
- One of my heroes is a cross-dresser, so i researched the history of cross-dressing. It was fascinating and i hope it makes a fun blog.
- One hero (the cross-dresser) is a cupcake baker. Everyone loves cupcakes! So i have a blog about interesting cupcake flavors with a recipe.
- The other hero is a health food fanatic. I'm a bit of a health food fan myself, so i blogged about wheat grass and some other health foodie subjects.
- The book is related to Valentine's Day so i included a blog on the history of the holiday
- I love unique book titles and Hearts and Flour is one of those, so i blogged about the fun of creating titles
Get the idea? Just keep asking, what's fun and unique about the book? How can i delve into that topic a little? Voila! You have your blogs.
Hearts and Flour is coming Friday! Check out Beautiful Boys Books to get a peek at the prizes! And join the newsletter to get updates on all the fun events. See you there!